The Cottonwood Creek draft plan:
- Should add recreation as an Outstanding Remarkable Value for fishing, hiking, camping, hunting, and other possibilities for recreation that Cottonwood Creek provides.
- Needs to add Geology as an Outstanding Remarkable Value due to the presence of many important and unique geological features. These include Lower Cambrian Trilobites, which are the subject of ongoing research at White Mountain Research Station.
- Should recognize the eligible tributaries of Cottonwood, as they contribute to its Outstanding Remarkable Values. These include 3.7 miles of South Fork Cottonwood Creek and 3.4 miles of Poison Creek.
- Should recommend the present options for permanently retiring the Cottonwood Creek grazing allotment to protect the Outstanding Remarkable Values of botany, fisheries, and wildlife.
- Should incorporate an annual monitoring plan. Components of the monitoring plan include annual surveys for recreational use, water quality and quantity, wildlife such as spring snails, and historic and prehistoric sites.
Comments for both the
Owens River Headwaters and Cottonwood Creek
Wild and Scenic River CRMP's are due Friday, July 23.
Submit your comments today!
Directions: Review documents and maps here. Click on the “scoping” tab to read the draft plans. Click on the “comment/object on this project,” or go here to enter your comments or attach your comment letter. There is an "Español" link on the comments page that allows for comments to be submitted in Spanish as well.
Thank you for providing feedback to the Inyo National Forest on their draft plans. Together we can make sure these plans protect these free-flowing Wild and Scenic Rivers for future generations of people and wildlife.